Cancer is one of the many diseases that has posed a great threat to humanity. This type of disease sees cells of the body grow without control amounting to as many as trillions in every part of the body. Talking about Prostate Cancer is very common in males and the surest way to prevent damage caused by this disease is early detection and treatment. Research has shown that this cancer sits between the penis and bladder, beginning with the Prostate gland.
There are some Prostate Cancer that needs minimal or even no treatment while others can be severely aggressive. Regardless, the best chance of treating this disease is limited to when the cancerous cells are still domiciled in the Prostate gland and then early detection.
This disease is known to not show any signs or symptoms at early stages and conversely, they reveal a lot of signs and symptoms when the disease is at an advanced stage. See some of the symptoms below.
- Trouble urinating
- Decreased force in the stream of urine
- Blood in the urine
- Blood in the semen
- Bone pain
- Losing weight without trying
- Erectile dysfunction
- Painful Ejaculation
Do well to see your doctor if any of the aforementioned symptoms persist and get a prostate exam regularly.
Despite the enormous amount of research on Prostate Cancer, there is currently no known cause of this disease. However, there’s a general conclusion that prostate cancer starts when the cells in the prostate develop some changes in their DNA.
Risk or Susceptibility factors
There are several factors that can make a man more susceptible to developing cancer in his prostate, they are Age, Race, Family History, and Obesity.
- Age: The older you grow, the more susceptible you become to developing prostate cancer. Men older than 50 are likely to have prostate cancer, this is according to findings.
- Race: Black people are more likely to develop prostate cancer than people from other races. And then, cancer in black people is said to be more severe and aggressive – No known reason has been adduced for this.
- Family History: If a person is diagnosed with prostate cancer, his relatives are very likely to have this disease too.
- Obesity: People who have a healthy weight are less likely going to have prostate cancer than their counterparts with unhealthy weight. The disease is also very aggressive in obese people.
There are several complications that can arise from prostate cancer and we will also juxtapose the treatment relating to complications.
- Erectile dysfunction: One of the many complications that have arisen from prostate cancer is erectile dysfunction. Treatment can include surgery, radiation, or hormonal treatment. ED can be fixed via surgery or through vacuum devices that help to achieve an erection.
- Incontinence: Incontinence is the inability of a person’s body to control the evacuative function of defecation or urination. In other words, peeing or pooping without control. It has been revealed that both prostate cancer and its treatment are causes of incontinence. Treatment largely depends on the type and severity but basically, medications, surgery, and catheters are options for treatment.
- Cancer that spreads (metastasizes): There’s a chance that prostate cancers are going to spread to the bladder in some cases or even find their way to the bloodstream or lymphatic system, other organs of the body or to the bones. In the instance where prostate cancer is found on the bone, it can cause the bone to break. If cancer spreads to other parts of the body, it can only be managed at this point as it has eluded treatment.
- Eating healthy Meals: Eating clean is one sure way to boost your immune system and increase your chances of staying healthy. Fruits, Vegetables, and Whole grains are highly nutritious foods, so, the more the intake, the greater your wellness chances. Although it is not proven that vegetables, fruits (particularly Soursop) and whole-grain can prevent prostate cancer, they sure keep a man healthy.
- Supplements: There are healthy food supplements that have sufficed for deficiencies in vitamins and minerals. Taking food supplements has proven to also boost the immunity of people and help them maintain health.
- Exercising: This is a key factor in maintaining decent body weight and improving the mind and mood. Exercising is as important as eating, and as a matter of responsibility, you are required to exercise daily – this way, you lower your overall risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Maintain a healthy weight: In order to maintain a healthy weight, you must exercise and then eat clean. You may need to employ a trainer in the case of obesity or overweight.
- Talk to your Doctor: Following the aforementioned risk factors, you should know how susceptible you are to the disease. There are instances where medication is administered for people that are at high risk of getting the disease. The drugs include 5-alpha reductase inhibitors which reduce the risk. The drugs are used to bring the prostate gland under control.
Prostate Cancer, And All You Need To Know