Do you feel confident when you smile or the color of your teeth does not allow you to grin as much as you’d like? There are homemade remedies that can be used to whiten discolored teeth.
Americans have spent over $1.4 billion to whiten their teeth since 2015. However, the proliferation of products with some unknown chemicals has become worrying and dangerous to oral health.
We have compiled a list of natural and safe products you can use to give you a pearly white smile.
But first, let’s look at the possible causes of teeth discoloration
- Foods that stain the enamel.
- A build-up of plaque on the teeth.
- Eroded hard enamel.
The first two can be treated with regular cleaning of the teeth and the use of whitening remedies. Meanwhile, eroded enamel reveals the dentin, the yellow and bony tissue that lies underneath the enamel.
Below are some homemade remedies for whitening the teeth
Activated Charcoal is one of the remedies for yellow-colored teeth. Plaque on your teeth is usually positively charged while charcoal is negatively charged. Charcoal is absorbed on the surface of the teeth when it binds a plaque, thereby whitening the teeth.
What You Need
- A toothbrush, a glass of clean water and activated powdered charcoal.
How To Use:
- Wet your toothbrush and dip it into the activated charcoal.
- Use the same to brush your teeth for at least 5 minutes.
- Rise your mouth with clean water.
- Do routine at least once every day.
Fruits and vegetables
Fruits and vegetables are filled with minerals and vitamins. These vitamins and minerals are good for the body and the teeth. When you take crunchy fruits like strawberries and pineapple, they rub against the plaque during chewing.
Some kinds of toothpaste have bromelain, an enzyme that is found in pineapple as part of their ingredients. And according to reports, bromelain is effective for removing tooth stains.
However, research is still ongoing in this area but at the moment, no evidence to support this claim.
Strawberries mixed with baking soda are also a remedy for whitening discolored teeth.
There are claims that strawberries contain malic acid, which is effective for removing discoloration while baking soda removes stains.
Although research is still ongoing in this area, it is believed that strawberries make the teeth appear whiter. However, they do not remove stains.
The effect of the mixture of strawberries and baking soda on the teeth is mild. Other commercial whitening products are believed to be better.
It is recommended that you limit your use of strawberries and baking soda because excessive use has been found to cause damage.
The use of hydrogen peroxide is a natural method for whitening discolored teeth. Hydrogen peroxide improves the shade of the teeth.
This remedy is mostly used because it is effective and cheap.
How to Make Hydrogen Peroxide whitening formula
- Get half a glass cup of 3 – 5% hydrogen peroxide.
- Get half a glass cup of water.
- Blend half a glass of the percentage of hydrogen peroxide above with the half glass of water.
- Swirl the mixture in the between and leave for a minimum of one minute.
- Spit out the solution and brush your teeth without toothpaste.
- Rinse your mouth with clean water.
- The routine should be repeated daily.
Practice oil pulling
The practice of oil pulling to improve oral hygiene originated in India. This does not only improve oral hygiene but removes toxins from the body as well.
To do this, swish oil in your mouth to remove bacteria but this can turn into a plaque and cause discoloration.
Sunflower and sesame oil was initially used for this practice but various oils are now being used. Especially coconut oil, which has great taste and many other health benefits.
Lauric acid kills bacteria and reduces inflammation. This acid is found in high measures in coconut oil. Therefore, practicing oil pulling with coconut oil can reduce bacteria in the mouth and improve oral health.
How to practice oil pull
- Insert 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth.
- If it is solid, wait for it to melt.
- Push and pull the oil through your teeth.
- Continue pulling for at least 20 minutes then spit out.
- Pulling is a safe method for whitening the teeth because the enamel cannot be eroded by acid.
Orange or Lemon Peels
Lemon and orange peels contain citric acid. Citric acid is effective for removing stains from the enamel and bleaching the teeth.
This acid also contains anti-bacterial agents that reduce the negative effect of oral microbes.
How To Use:
- Get orange or lemon peel.
- Use any of the peels to scrub the teeth.
- Leave the scrub on the teeth for at least two minutes and then brush off.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with distilled water.
- Carry out routine once a day.
All of the methods mentioned above are natural and effective for whitening the teeth. Most of the methods, if adopted, will gently remove stains from the surface of teeth.
But if you have used any of the methods above and you don’t get your desired result, you should consult your dentist. There are stronger teeth whitening treatments that are better than the remedies mentioned in this article. For example, bleaching the teeth can effectively cure severe discoloration.